Sunday, August 7, 2011

Donna’s Caribbean Salad


This past week, I flew back home to visit my family and friends for the first time since my boyfriend and I moved out East in January. Being back in my hometown after half a year away was a unique experience. While I still felt the familiar connection of being back in the city that I grew up in, not having a routine made everything seem fresh and new and exciting.

One thing that hadn’t changed was the time spent with loved ones and good food. Whether it was Brazilian barbeque and margaritas for a night out with my girlfriends, ice cream cones at the lake, a picnic lunch on a river raft, or the pleasure of a home-cooked meal, I had a lot of memories (and some recipes) to take back on the plane with me.


I first had this salad while visiting my boyfriend’s Aunt and Uncle. Donna calls it a Caribbean salad because it is chock full of fresh fruit and topped with a delicious tangy honey-mustard-lime dressing.


My boyfriend and I enjoyed this for dinner tonight, paired with a simple (store-bought) roasted chicken. I am still in vacation mode, after all!


Donna’s Caribbean Salad
Serves 4

1 package mixed greens and baby spinach
1 small pineapple, cored, peeled, and diced
1 container mandarin segments, drained (you can substitute fresh mandarins, if available)
1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lime, about 1 tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix salad ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well until blended.

Dress salad to taste. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated to enjoy later.

1 comment: