Sunday, June 5, 2011

Oven Baked French Fries


With the warmer weather and BBQ season upon us once more, I am trying to get back to basics when it comes to our meals.

While our grill is kicking into overdrive, I’ve been looking for simple sides that will go well with pretty much anything my boyfriend can cook up on the BBQ.

One of my favourite ways to prepare vegetables is roasting them. I have a fantastic stoneware baking dish from Pampered Chef that I use all the time. It’s great for preparing pretty much every vegetable under the rainbow: squash, asparagus, yams, garlic, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and of course, potatoes!

This past week, my boyfriend requested french fries. Rather than pick up a bag of frozen ones from the grocery store, I decided I would make my own.


I started with about a pound and a half of potatoes and washed them thoroughly to remove any dirt.


Then I peeled them, halved them, and cut them into slices about half an inch thick.


I threw the potatoes into my stoneware dish and added a liberal amount of olive oil to keep them from sticking.


In a small bowl, I combined my spices, then sprinkled them over the potatoes and gave everything a good stir until the potatoes were evenly coated with the oil and seasoning mix.


I spread the potatoes out in a single layer and baked them until the potatoes got nice and golden and crisp on the outside.


Perfection!


Once the fries were done, I transferred them to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil before serving.


Feel free to mix up this recipe with your own spices, or you can substitute sweet potatoes and enjoy your own homemade sweet potato fries. Delish!


Oven Baked French Fries
Serves 2

1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, washed, dried and peeled
1/4 cup olive oil

Seasoning:
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Halve potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch slices.

Put potatoes in a large baking dish or baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.

Combine seasoning ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes.

Toss with hands or a spoon to evenly coat and spread out in a single layer.

Bake for about 45 minutes until potatoes are tender on the inside and golden on the outside.

Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate before serving.

4 comments:

  1. These oven baked fries look amazing! I can only imagine how tasty these were with all the spices you used :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. zoe did they turn out really crispy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oven-baked fries and don't understand why people don't make them more often! Why have the super unhealthy fried kind when baked can taste better? I usually just use salt and pepper and some garlic, but now I definitely want to try it out with chili powder and oregano! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my most favorite things in the whole wide world! YUM

    ReplyDelete